Saturday, February 9, 2013

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?

During my time in Samoa, I've learned that the answer to this question is far from simple.  There could be plenty of answers.  I've done some investigation over the past few months on a regular basis ( I usually get to do some first hand observation daily) and I've come to understand that it really all depends on the chicken involved and the situation (as you would assume).  If it's a Samoan chicken (moa) they may be crossing the road because they deemed the oncoming traffic less terrifying than the possible dog attack.  In Vermont, the chickens across the street would usually cross the road to check out some other college students' trash, or get away from the party in their backyard near the chicken coop.  In New Zealand, the only chickens I saw indeed did not cross the road- they just sat patiently in their coop. But in Samoa, the chickens need to be a little more rough and rugged- fighting off dogs, trying not to be a part of a teenagers' cock fight, or exploring food scraps in a new territory.

Chicken crossing road in Pago Pago ( I am a little less versed as to why the chickens in Pago cross the road...I've mastered the Leone chicken but them city chickens are a totally different breed).

If you've ever tried to cross a street in American Samoa, you would know there are easier places to cross the street in the world.  Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way, and pickup trucks would rather swerve and hit a person than a pothole.  So you can imagine how it is for the chickens. To sum up this short post, if I were a chicken in AmSam, I would try my best to avoid all circumstances which require the crossing of the road.  And if I did have to, it would probably be for a damn-good, life-or death reason.


P.S.  - yes, this is my idea of posting a blog (since I haven't in a long time) without actually having to go through with the painstaking task of updating you on my life :)

1 comment:

  1. Sara - what a great way to frame a discussion of what life is like there! Samoan chickens give a new definition of what it means to be called chicken - in the right context - it means you better not mess with me and tough enough to survive nasty dogs and drivers.
    Just got done snow raking our nice sunroom - ah yes sun, warm, relaxation, UNTIL we get 2 feet of snow and it has to come off - mostly of course right where you are standing below it. I found out my shirt wasnt tucked in real fast. I wish just once a newscaster would say how wonderful it is for something like a blizzard to remind us - especially those who need reminding - who is in charge. Hope you get to snorkel! And when is it not too soon to start counting the days before you are back.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete