Sunday, November 4, 2012

Finally another post!

I know it's been a while since my last post- and so much has happened!!  There has been so much on my mind lately- from White Sunday to how the HELL to get through to my students, then midterms week and the post traumatic stress from that.......

I've decided to focus this blog mostly on White Sunday (since it's a HUGE holiday here), the JV Football Championship, and something I've been meaning to write about for a while- access to information.  But I'm only limiting it to those because otherwise I'd probably go on a rant about midterms which would not benefit anyone or be fun to read about- I've already taken out my stresses about midterm week on my friends (and a shared bottle Absolut and Just Juice- the best juice ever...straight out of New Zealand).


White Sunday is a holiday involving 3 main things: Church, children, and food. It's like Samoan Thanksgiving haha.  Amber, Kristina, and I got picked up by a woman named Aso (Asofaafetai- which literally means Thanksgiving) who goes to the Assembly of God church in Taputimu- the village next to us in Pua Pua, where Amber went last year with her Tap Boys.  I got to meet two of her Tap-Town students from last year who sang at the church. On White Sunday, all the children from babies to 18-19 year olds (and maybe a little older) dress in all white or matching puletasis and perform religious songs, dances, and prayers.  It was all in Samoan, but it was still awesome.  Not being a church goer myself, I was really out of my element and I was kind of thankful it was not in English otherwise I probably would have been a bit uncomfortable. But so much music and dancing- so I enjoyed myself even with all the Samoan women screaming "praise the lord!" etc.

There was a HYSTERICAL little girl singing with her eyes closed in front of the church- I could not contain my laughter and had to stop watching her because I was about to cause a scene- but the adults were laughing as well.  There was another little boy who had a frown like an old man on his face the whole time- also hysterical.  Whole families got up in front of the small congregation and sang.  I was surprised by how small and comfortable the church was- easy to see how close-knit those who go to the same church can get.  One of my students also goes to that church so it was excellent to see her up there singing her heart out (especially since I rarely see her in class........ but that has recently changed).
Hysterical girl who sang with her eyes closed looking super pained
Adorable kid who looks miserable

After church, families get together and eat.  We weren't invited to to'ona'i (Sunday lunch), but we went home and got our work done so that we could go BACK to church that evening because Amber's old student Kasi invited us back for more singing.  So we went that evening back to church (my first time EVER being at church twice in one day!!).  Even though I know everything that was spoken about doesn't conform with my religious beliefs, being in a small church on top of a hill with the ocean breeze and sunset coming through the windows while people with beautiful voices sang was not exactly anything to complain about.  And maybe logging more hours at church wouldn't be so bad with all the cursing I've done in school : )

A few more pictures from White Sunday....



The whole family!



Kristina, me, and Amber getting fed at the kids' table!

Like a true kids' Thanksgiving dream...donuts, egg sandwiches, cheeseburgers, and soda. #Health


The extra point....CLEARLY GOOD. GRRRR

The JV Football Championship was between Leone and our long time rivals, Tafuna High School.  It's kind of like the Red Sox and Yankees, until we play someone on the East Side, which then it's a East vs. West type of shindig. We dressed up in our best green and yellow, brought the pom poms (which I just learned is actually pon poms....), and woke up before 7am on a saturday to make it to the 8 o'clock game.  It was an excellent game, back and forth the whole time.  We cheered our butts off.  At 2 minutes to go, the game was tied 40-40, and Leone had an opportunity for an extra point..... which went in (see picture).  However, apparently the refs have sons that play on Tafuna and it was not counted.  We wondered why nobody made a fuss, Kristina took the camera down to show someone, but nothing happened. Game resumed, our team's confidence was blown and Tafuna got energized because of the call and scored another touchdown.  My sophomore, Eddie, is our quarterback on JV and he played an amazing game.  I was fuming all day at that damn call.  To top it off, there was no exciting fight to be had.  Fights usually go without saying at Tafuna/Leone games, but none for JV this year.  Our varsity team may have a few games left, so more updates to be had!!  Congrats to Leone for a great game, what should have been a win.  Champions in my heart!!
Lions For Life

Unity is Our Strength- Champions in my heart!



Now, what I've learned about having access to information, knowledge, and an education.  For the first time in my life, I've come to realize what it means to literally have information "at my fingertips".  You hear the phrase used, and our parents use it to talk about the stark contrast between the days of actually having to do research in books and getting all news from the radio or word of mouth, and the present, the era of the i (iPhone, iPod, iMac, iPad, iGoogle).  I always understood what this meant, and that I was lucky to be able to find answers to whatever questions I had when I had them, but I hadn't truly realized the value of it.  As someone who has more questions than there are ants in Samoa, I can honestly say I Love the internet. Capital L. Of course, I know to take the answers I find on the internet with a grain of salt, but there is so much damn INFORMATION out there- literally at the tips of our fingers!!!  Seeing how most of my students don't' have computers, internet, or some even electricity, they really have not been exposed to this wealth of information. I let students use my computer during breaks, lunch, and after school, and they are usually amazed with how quickly I can find answers or help them with their homework for other classes.  On the other hand, plenty don't realize the power of it, because when I let them use my computer it's usually for Facebook.  But it's the days that we don't have internet at home (which is frequently) that I come to remember just how lucky I have been.  At least 10 things pop into my head every day that I want to just quickly rush to my computer, type in google, and find information on.  When I don't see the bars on my internet signal, that's when it hits me, that I cannot find the answer to those questions right then and there. It's a terrible feeling!!!  I've come to really enjoy when we don't have internet at home, for the most part, because I don't have to worry about email, Facebook, or staying in touch.  But it is when I want information that I always make the same realization that most of the world does not have this kind of access to information at their fingertips- and then I understand why my students have such trouble wondering about the world and asking questions.  If I could never find answers to my questions, wouldn't I just stop asking them too?

This is not to say the internet is the only means of information- myths- legends (especially here in Samoa) are incredibly important, and I do love my share of books as well. But living in the iEra, the internet is what I have come to know and rely on- and it is the constant sharing of peoples' ideas, opinions, and the active participation in discussions surrounding things that I have questions about that is what makes the internet unlike any other form of information out there.

Sometimes I see how information-deprived and craving my students are.  They do love simply being exposed to things- even if sometimes they act uninterested (Read: all the time).  I brought in the Samoan newspaper to class today to talk about Hurricane Sandy and the new LEED certified EPA building on Tutuila (the first LEED certified building in all the South Pacific!!), and they all wanted to see it and read it.  I think they hate not being in the know, because they are left in the dark about so much. I know at first thought it may not seem like a big deal to not have internet- but think about if you had NEVER had it.  All you oldies can relate to this- and maybe shed some light on what it was like to never have it for all of us news.  I guess if you never had it you wouldn't really have known what to miss, but it still strikes me hard when I think about all of the many random things I've wondered about and that most of the answers I've found within a matter of seconds by typing it in.  Where do you get most of your information? What would you do if you didn't know how to just "Google it"?  What things would you never have learned?  

My new goal in Earth and Space science- make sure that if they were ever to go out into the world, they wouldn't seem like total idiots.  We are going to have mapping of the world (continents and oceans) on EVERY test this year- I told them I will not let them become high school seniors until they know where the continents and oceans are.

Also, just a shout out to the greatest package from my darling mother!!  Trying to make it feel like fall here (while I sweat to death).  Thanks mom!
Dunkin Donuts Pumpkin Spice Coffee, dark chocolate cranberries, yummy jam,  parmesan cheese (even though it's fake.... it's $7 here so I needed some sent!), sun dried tomatoes= HEAVEN. NOM NOM NOM!

Alright, I could keep going on and on, but I will post again soon- lots more to catch up on!  Next post will most likely be on:
-Spirit Week-Halloween
-Tisa's Barefoot Bar Annual Tattoo Festival
-Football, per usual.

2 comments:

  1. Sara once again your blog is incredible - you trigger so many great philosophical questions - do you really miss things that you dont know about? Is there such a thing as too much knowledge? Maybe its good more people having more and more information as at some point they realize its helped them figure out how to live their life to the fullest, and what inner peace is about. Look at the Buddhists - they have decided that the valuable knowledge is inside your true inner being. And getting exposed to so much promotion of all the worlds "things" - does that create artificial "need"? that you would be better off without? I think the answer as so often is balance. But it reminds me of what I am talking about in church soon, very briefly - the bumper sticker Kathi and I saw - "The more you know, the less you need." Bringing that up to these kids would blow their mind, but maybe in a good way? And your refs should come be substitute refs in the NFL here - did you hear about how bad they were? The real refs went on strike for awhile. I also think you are seeing what Aunt Patty meant when she said the grad schools like what you are doing because you "grow" through what you are doing. And the phrase growing pains comes to mind, eh? So I dont know how many of your students you can inspire, but you sure inspire alot within your Dad!! Hope you got my card of the fall leaves here. We will miss you at your brothers graduation but will record it for you. One final thought before I write more than you did - I think one of the most amazing things the internet has done has empowered people to try to change their lives - I dont think all the revolutions in African countries, etc could have happened without people being able to be reached so fast and easily. I like to think the internet is helping giving the power back to the people, where it should be. (And I cant help mentioning this morning that in the early ballots your and my candidate is 7 points ahead - all due to Grammy on the phone!!!

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply, Dad!! Yes I did get your card- I was having a tough day and got cards from you and Becca...... made me happy but also made me tear up a bit! Buses from UVM are headed to Stowe this weekend---- and I had winter dreams all night-- rearranging my grad school/job locations once again based on the weather!
      Love,
      me

      Delete